Early on we made the decision that ‘if it’s worth doing it’s worth doing right’, although the budget is tight (though not as tight as me) we wanted to do a proper job and try not to cut corners.
I have to admit that me idea of bolt it all back together and use it was tempting but Martyn was having none of it, he wasn’t going to put his name to a bodge job.
Once in the workshop we decided that the best bet was to strip her down (almost completely), so off came the body, out came the engine and gearbox, axle and springs, trunion tube.... the only things we left on were the floor boards and frame front.
Saturday, 6 October 2018
Here is the reason for the conversion, Anna, wondering where this bit goes.
FUA's Coventry Climax engine no. MA 454 had a broken piston ring, which try as I may, I could not find a replacement for. With the first Series 1 rebuild, I had acquired a Ford E93A engine which I intended to use in FUA. But that was a no go too ----- no oil pressure, cracked head and overheating.
- RAC h.p. = (2xDxDxn)/5
- D is the diameter of the cylinder in inches
- n is the number of cylinders
On the Midlands section of the rally, he and Mrs Heaton had a rather interesting experience, here reported in the 'Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligence'
Info thanks to the research done by David Jackson FAU's keep since 2018.
1983 - Outside my brother Mark's house just before me and the girls departed for a three year stint in Singapore. This after the rebuild started in January 1981. Mark kindly garaged FUA in our absence. The van/lorry radiator was a cost saving necessity. We could not afford the rad rebuild until we returned to the UK. A sheet was used to stop the ingress of water onto the engine. Needs, or the lack of means, must as they say.
1986 - Mog 86 at three Counties Show Ground, Malvern. Camping we were.
The last part of FUA still in my workshop, the original Coventry Climax engine badge, soon to be returned to its rightful home.